Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Non-Anglospherecels who speak English as a foreign language, what style of English is your accent/spelling closest to?

What convention of English is closest to your speech and writing?

• Total voters
Yeah, Dutch is pretty close to English.
Yes, but Dutch people can have a very distinctive accent and/or weird phraseology. In Dutch we refer to it as "Steenkolenengels" (lit. coal English). In English it's known as Dunglish. I remember one of my university professors used to say "it doesn't want" in lieu of "it ain't working" -- a prime example of Dunglish.

Yes, but Dutch people can have a very distinctive accent and/or weird phraseology. In Dutch we refer to it as "Steenkolenengels" (lit. coal English). In English it's known as Dunglish. I remember one of my university professors used to say "it doesn't want" in lieu of "it ain't working" -- a prime example of Dunglish.
Yeah, I think the Dutch when they speak English sound a bit glottal in their speech.

Yeah, I think the Dutch when they speak English sound a bit glottal in their speech.
I dunno if glottal is the right word (I dunno exactly what it means) but it's recognizable

I dunno if glottal is the right word (I dunno exactly what it means) but it's recognizable
It's kinda like they speak with their throats.

Like the new yorkers.

Like the new yorkers.
You have a hood New York accent jfl?

What does your accent sound like when you speak French? Parisian?

when i watch videos from americans i talk the same way new yorkers talk, with an accent of course.
doesnt new york have a lot of iranian/arab immigrant boomers? probably sound exactly like them
Yeah, but most live out in Queens.

Around where I live, there are a few Muslims but they're mostly sub-Saharan African and a few are South Asian and Arab.
no accent
Do you speak verlan?

Im a slavcel who spent a part of my teen years in the UK, (although i don't live there anymore), So i speak British English, although since i have watched alot of american media as a kid/teen, i use american words like Mom instead of mum and Color instead of Colour, I also dislike the British accent that i have so i try to speak English in a more American or neutral accent.

This poll is for guys who speak English as a second language and isn't an immigrant to a country where English is an official language. I'm not asking immigrants who live in English-speaking countries since you will probably adapt your English accent to the accent of where you live even if it's not your native language.

I'm especially asking eurocels, since I'm sure latinocels are most likely taught American English in their countries given the proximity of Latin America to the U.S., and the political, economic and cultural influence the U.S. in that region, and also the fact that there are a lot of Latinos here in the U.S.

What I've noticed about Europeans who speak English as a second language is that many of them have accents that are closer to the American accent despite having closer proximity to the UK. Many also have accents that are closer to the British accent too which is more expected, but I find interesting that people from Europe use either one of those two conventions. I guess it depends on which country has closer relations to either the U.S. or the UK, or their teacher's background if they took classes for it.

Europe has a high population of multilingual people, especially English. In contrast to East Asia where not many people speak English there and isn't as vigorously taught as in Europe. Of course, if you are regular user of this forum, you probably know English enough for you to post here.

There really are only two conventions for English: American English and British English. The main difference apart from a different accent are minor spelling differences in a few words, minor grammatical differences, and different words for certain things.

As for the other main Anglophone countries: Canadian English very close to American English in terms of accent and both countries use the same words for things and the same slang and idioms, the only thing is that Canadian English uses British spelling; Australian, New Zealand English and South African English are close to British English in terms of accent, and spelling and grammatical conventions. Also, the other Anglophone countries don't have as much influence on the language as the U.S. and the UK does since the U.S. is the current dominant cultural force in the media and entertainment and the UK was historically a dominant world power as the head of the British Empire and now the Commonwealth, which the other Anglophone countries were once part of and thus English in Commonwealth countries are generally close to British English.

I'm also not talking about regional variations of American and British English (for the most part) since people speaking English as a foreign language are taught the standard form of the language and not the colloquial or regional varieties of it that exists in Anglophone countries, though it also might depend on where your English teacher comes from.
American

Definitely amerimutt english. I barely consume britbong content.

Definitely amerimutt english. I barely consume britbong content.
British media isn't as widely known as American media usually. Hollywood is a global market so everyone knows our movies. Meanwhile British films (Doctor Who, James Bond, Monty Python, Mr. Bean, etc.) are considered niche. The only British thing that has been more widespread in the last few decades are music bands like the Beetles, ELO, Queen, The Who, etc.