Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Theory How the father's height influences the son's height

Shaktiman

Shaktiman

Captain
★★★

How the father's height influences the son's height​

Let’s say the average height of men is 67.7 inches (172cm). If a man is 72 inches (183cm) tall, how tall will his full-grown son be?​

Your first instinct might be: "Oh, that's easy. The son will be as tall as his father."
Although 72 inches (183cm) is a possible guesstimate for the son's height, it is not very probable from a statistical point of view.

Correlation, regression, and standard deviation​

Instead, we should compile datasets of the average height of sons whose fathers were 72 inches (183cm) tall.
We will then repeat the step above for fathers of heights 58 inches (147cm), 59 inches (150cm), 60 inches (152cm), 61 inches (155cm), and so on, until 78 inches (198cm).
Next, we can draw a graph of averages between the heights of fathers (x-axis) and the heights of sons (y-axis). The plotted points 'x' mark the average height of sons whose fathers are of a particular height.
The regression line is a line of best fit with equation y=a+bx. Since the regression line is a straight line with a gradient b, the slope b will be the regression coefficient. The correlation coefficient is 0.5.
Now we can see that the father's height and the son's height are positively correlated, but only by a correlation coefficient of 0.5. Note that the slope of standard deviation (SD) line is less steep than the slope of the regression line. For every 1 SD increase in the father's height, the son's height increases by merely 0.5 SD.

None

If you are a man with average height, you can expect your son to be a few inches (centimeters) taller than you.
This is because the regression line and the SD line both coincide at the average heights. For instance, a father with an average height of 67.7 inches (172cm) will have a 68.7-inch-tall (175cm-tall) son.
However, if you are much taller or shorter than average, the prediction will be obviously trickier.
A 78-inch-tall (198cm-tall) man will have a 74-inch-tall (188cm-tall) son. For an exceptionally tall man, his son will be around 4 inches (10cm) shorter than him. His son will still be taller than average.
A 58-inch-tall (147cm-tall) man will have a 63.5-inch-tall (161cm-tall) son. For an exceptionally short man, his son will be around 5.5 inches (14cm) taller than him. His son will still be shorter than average.
For fathers who are exceptionally tall or short, their sons will be taller or shorter than average, but by not so much as their fathers.

Back to our question​

For someone with a 72-inch-tall (183cm-tall) father, we should predict the adult son's height by compromising on the regression correlation of father-son heights and the mean height of sons with 72-inch-tall (183cm-tall) fathers within the demogaphic. Our best guess for the adult son's height should regress towards the mean.
Based on actual data from the heights of 1,078 fathers and sons in England, for fathers 72 inches (183cm) tall, their sons are 71 inches (180cm) tall on average.

Pearson's Father-Son Data (via University of Chicago)

Why the father's height is only part of the equation​

Researchers at University of Chicago sought to explain this phenomenon.
First, our heights are genetically influenced by the heights of both our parents. The study above did not explicitly consider the mothers' heights.
Statistically there are a lot more females with average height than exceptionally tall females with a few SDs taller than the average. Thus there is a fairly high chance that an exceptionally tall man might marry a woman who is not exceptionally tall, so their son will not be as exceptionally tall as the father.
Secondly, our heights are not solely determined by genetical or hereditary factors. It is also affected by environmental factors such as nutrition and exercise.
In 1884, a polymath statistician, Francis Galton, recruited 10,000 people to measure the heights of parents and children. He paid 3 pence to each participant. He found that the children's height deviation from the population mean was around two-thirds of the deviation of their parents.
In Galton's words, when parents are taller than mean, their children tend to be shorter than them. When parents are shorter than mean, their children tend to be taller than them.

depends on the foids' height most of the time

@LeFrenchCel
Is this pin-worthy?

Im shorter than my dad by 3 inches because of my midget mom

It depends more on mom’s height. That’s why hapa kids with white moms are taller

Dad is 5'7 im 5'4 mom is 4'10

you turned out better than me
my cousin bro is 5'9 while uncle is 5'4 and aunt 5'2.He also frame and face mogs me :feelsrope:

my distant uncle is the same age as mine but 6'3 when his dad is 5'3 and mom 5'2.He is a giant by curry standards!! I feel so tiny standing next to him :feelsrope: :feelsrope: :feelsrope:

Last edited:
my cousin bro is 5'9 while uncle is 5'4 and aunt 5'2.He also frame and face mogs me :feelsrope:

my distant uncle is the same age as mine but 6'3 when his dad is 5'3 and mom 5'2.He is a giant by curry standards!! I feel so tiny standing next to him :feelsrope: :feelsrope: :feelsrope:
No way 6'3 with such short parents hate to say it but there is high chance ur uncle is not the father

Also nutritient plays abit here i was malnutritioned growing up

No way 6'3 with such short parents hate to say it but there is high chance ur uncle is not the father

Yao ming parents were both 6'3 and he grew up to be 7'6 so it is defintely possible.My uncle looks the same as his father too

Yao ming parents were both 6'3 and he grew up to be 7'6 so it is defintely possible.My uncle looks the same as his father too
Yes but 6'3 man and woman both being this tall height have the possibility to make a giant.

But ive never seen in my life a 5'3 couple with a 6'3 kid.

Idk either way better to not look into it and cause problems in case its true and his dad is not the biological one

This is in contrast with my observation and hence bullshit.
Every tallfag I've seen has a tallfag parent and their height difference is negligible.

If this was the case you'd never see "tall families", because in just a few generations they would be have been normalized. But that is not the case. Almost all tallfags come from families with tall fathers and uncles and tall grandparents and so on.

My dad is a solid 6'1," maybe a little taller. I am NOWHERE near.

This is why you shouldn't put too much stock in studies. That's all they are. Looking at something, and trying to conclude an explanation without actually knowing why.

In Galton's words, when parents are taller than mean, their children tend to be shorter than them. When parents are shorter than mean, their children tend to be taller than them.
Considering calorie intake, pain related to bones and spine due to height etc. What is the optimal height for a human male?

My dad is 6’2 and he bred a 5’2 roastie now im here on this forum :reeeeee:

ALL SHORT ROASTIES NEED TO DIE WORTHLESS DUMBASS SLUTS FUCKING KILL URSELF IM GONNA BEHEAD ALL THESE SHORT FUCKING SLUTS UGLY AS SHIT FUCKING DWARFS PISSING ME OFF

ALL SHORT ROASTIES NEED TO DIE WORTHLESS DUMBASS SLUTS FUCKING KILL URSELF IM GONNA BEHEAD ALL THESE SHORT FUCKING SLUTS UGLY AS SHIT FUCKING DWARFS PISSING ME OFF
My dad is 6’2 and he bred a 5’2 roastie now im here on this forum :reeeeee:
This is why every man should had standard.

They should be ashamed, that they bred a midget foids or landwhale.

This is why every man should had standard.

They should be ashamed, that they bred a midget foids or landwhale.
That sin shall never be forgived when he fucking dies i wont even be at his funeral

Considering calorie intake, pain related to bones and spine due to height etc. What is the optimal height for a human male?
What the average height is in that region. Survival of the fittest in that environment

Im shorter than my dad by 3 inches because of my midget mom

Im shorter than my dad by 10 inches because of my midget mom

In general it's like 10% and probably actually higher for every father that doesn't get a DNA test to be the victim of paternity fraud

i missed my potential height by 4-6 inches :cryfeels::cryfeels::reeeeee:

i have long arms and legs, my legs alone are longer than tall fags usually. my useless torso is fucking tiny